Saturday, August 27, 2011 Comments Off
Jiai Aikido will be hosting a one afternoon seminar on soft high falls on Saturday September 24th from 1pm – 4pm.
The cost is $40 (cash preferred) and there is no pre-registration, just pay at the door.
As with all our ukemi seminars please wear whatever is comfortable for you, hakama and dogi are optional (but please wear something )
We will be looking at a couple specific falls, but the greatest emphasis will be on general strategies and mechanics for softening your falls including drills to build body memory. Video feedback will be available to refine technique and a lot of personalized tips and corrections from me.
Monday, April 25, 2011 1 Comment
Our next Ukemi seminar is coming up and I’d like to share some details about it.
What to Wear
On Saturday you’re welcome to wear anything that’s comfortable. I would recommend that you do not wear a hakama, as it makes it more difficult for me to give you feedback on how you are using your legs and in some exercises you might get tangled. I will be wearing a t-shirt and dogi/athletic pants to allow greater visibility of the demonstrations.
On Sunday we will be training outside on varied surfaces, so please wear something that you can get dirty. Athletic/outdoors pants, a t-shirt, and a long sleeve shirt would be a good choice.
Ukemi covers a vast amount of technical and principle information, and a seminar could cover any range of topics and skill levels. My primary goal in this seminar is to help you train in a way that is less destructive to your body, more enjoyable, and more productive for both you and your partner. I’m assuming you have a basic understanding of falling, and while everything covered will be fantastic for beginners, it will also include information that is new to even those with decades of ukemi experience.
- Proper walking and standing movement
- Breathing and drills to increase relaxation
- Separation of tension and relaxation in the body
- Transitioning between levels, unlocking movement
- Hard and Soft (aka feather) ukemi technique
- Ukemi with purpose not pattern
- Accidents and injury situations
- Alternatives to break falls
- Why/how your front rolls should change
- Flat footed rolling (front + back)
- Absorbing, redirecting, and releasing throwing energy
- Ukemi as offense, reversals
- Training fast, strong, and soft
May 14-15 10:30am – 3pm
Directions at SanDiegoAikido.com